By Debra Liu
Besides ordering food for delivery so you can avoid being outside in the cold as much as possible, the second best way to stay cozy this winter is to make (and eat, of course) warm and comforting desserts. Here are some great recipes to get you started:
(1) Warm Fudgy Chocolate Black Bean Brownies
These brownies are not only absolutely delicious, and taste like decadent “real” brownies, but they are also really healthy for you. Made with only black beans, they are gluten-free and abundant in fiber, protein and vitamins.
Ingredients: 1 can (15oz) black beans – rinsed and drained, 1 cup chocolate chips, 1/4 tsp salt, 1/3 cup sugar or honey, 1/4 cup coconut or vegetable oil, 2 tsp vanilla extract, 1 large egg, 1/2 tsp baking powder, more chocolate chips to sprinkle on top, 1/4 cup walnut pieces (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Combine all ingredients except for 1/2 cup of the chocolate chips in a food processor. Blend well.
- Fold in the other 1/2 cup of chocolate chips.
- Pour into 8×8 greased baking pan.
- Optional: sprinkle extra chocolate chips and walnut pieces over top.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes. Cool at least 10 minutes.
- Serve warm!
(2) Warm Sweet Potato Souffle
Ingredients: 1.5 sticks butter (room temperature), 5 medium sweet potatoes, 2 larges eggs, 3/4 cup sugar, 1 tsp vanilla extract, 1/2 cup milk, dash of salt, 1 cup finely chopped pecans, 3/4 cup brown sugar, 1/2 cup flour
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease a 2.5 quart baking dish.
- For the souffle: Bake the sweet potatoes until soft (~1 hr). Peel the potatoes and mash. Add eggs, sugar, 1 stick butter, vanilla, milk and salt. Blend well and pour into greased baking dish.
- For the topping: Stir together pecans, brown sugar, flour and 1/2 stick butter until uniformly combined. Spoon even layer over the sweet potato mixture. Bake for 40 minutes are until lightly browned. Let sit 3-4 minutes before serving.
- Serve warm!
(3) Warm Almond Cherry Cake
Ingredients: 1 cup flour, 1/2 tsp baking powder, 1/2 tsp salt, 1 stick unsalted butter (softened), 1/2 cup sugar, 3 large eggs, 1/2 tsp almond extract, 2 cups cherries (pitted, rinsed), 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease 9-inch round pan.
- Mix flour, baking powder and salt together.
- In another bowl, mix butter and sugar until creamy. Add eggs and mix. Add almond extract.
- Add flour mixture slowly into butter mixture until combined.
- Pour batter into greased pan. Sprinkle cherries and almonds over the batter.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until golden on top.
- Serve warm!
DailyFoodtoEat is the official blog of FoodtoEat, a sustainable online food ordering and concierge catering service featuring your favorite restaurants, food trucks and caterers. Check out the deliciousness here: www.foodtoeat.com